Even in Death (short story of LOVE)

“Bring them in...the theatre is free...”

“Hurry...raise the wheel...1...2...3”

“The doctor is here...”

“We lost him...focus on her... she has a pulse...raise the temperature...”

Several voices echoed through my hollow and blood-filled ear.

Struggling with my dying eye while they try to revive me, I watched my gallant Lover on the other bed laid like a starfish. He appeared to have given up. Lo, a faint image of Him appeared right in front of me extending a hand. He stood waiting for my grab of it.

I rigorously let out a smile. I knew he would never leave.

***************

Two hours earlier, I received a short note and a flower bouquet at my door step. Surprised, I quickly opened it while the door remains ajar as I turned my back at it still carrying the zeal to read.


Dear Yvonne,
I know there are many surprises out there in the world better than this inglorious old fashion, but for our love, please accept the simplicity.
The last two years since you have entered my heart have been the most wonderful of my entirety, my birds have chirped merrily, my rats eat fearlessly of the trap of heartbreak and the human within have spoken with much hope, boasting of a certain future ahead.
Although my looks never appeared close to your selfless devotion for me, my love for you is nothing less.
It is time my love; time to run away with you far away to the world where your angelic kinds are and appreciated.
I am convinced honey; the time is ripe and that is why I am starting, sitting at my knees across the road with this ring between the thumb and my forefinger waiting to hold your hand to ask you only one question;
“Will you marry me?”
Yours forever
Benjamin.


It sends shiver into my body. My heart melted at the vibration of those words and as I turned around, I saw my love across the road, kneeling right beside his fondly adored power bike.

I could feel the rays of love transpiring between our distant eyes. I ran in enthusiasm towards him holding my gown up the muddy floor.
The distance was taking forever to cover, but I managed to beat it!

“Yes! Yes! I will marry you...” I had said joyfully in front of him while he dressed the ring into my finger, bathing my whole hand with his warm but romantic kiss.

He stood and buried his tongue into my mouth as we exchanged a kiss which I wished never stopped.
I sat behind, holding fast to his waist as we rode speedily across the town. We were headed to his village to break the news to his grandmother and to celebrate the blissful night in his childhood room- sure to make love as my whole tingling body couldn’t wait.

A few minutes later, the story was transformed. Sour to people around, but it sure has an end.

*******************

A move in my fingers diverted the attention of the reviving team on me. The temperature of the defibrillator was increased to bring back my pulse.

“Clear...Buzz! Clear...Buzz! Clear... Buzz”

My body was raised an inch above the hospital bed three times while the nurse, with the machine, sent an electric shock into my heart.

My heart beat irregularly faster; my Lover stood there waiting.

“Don’t leave me” he said wearing a sour face.

My body twisted in pain as I moved further to touch his face; those once smiling face of my prince charming, sending me to an impasse between my salvation and the love of my life.
At once, I felt calmness within me and everywhere. I could move and we could hug once again; it was fulfilled transition.

As we moved hand in hand out of the theatre- a door opening into the heavens, the freshness was like a relief after childbirth and we soar to the eternal height where our love blossoms till this moment.

In life, we yearned for it and if there is a happily-ever-after in the afterlife, I think we earned it as it appears love conquers all; even death itself.
      
                                         _END_
 
©Akinsehinwa Damilola, August 5, 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Youth-Fool

THE BEGINING OF THE END (short story)

Peseverance's Fruit.